Domestic abuse can leave you feeling confused, afraid, unsure of yourself, and unable to make decisions. It's not okay for your partner to control everything about your life, or to hurt you or your children. You are not the only person who has ever wondered if there's something wrong with your relationship. There is help available, and you are not alone.
These are some of the warning signs of an abusive relationship. If you answer yes to ANY of these questions, it's time to take action. The Safe Place hotline is available 24 hours a day, every day. Call toll-free 1-800-967-8928 or 432-570-1465.
- Are you afraid to say "no" or disagree with your partner?
- Does your partner criticize you constantly?
- Do you make excuses and apologize for your partner's behavior?
- Does your partner blame you or others for every problem or for his own mistakes?
- Have you ever been hit, kicked or pushed by your partner?
- Have you been forced to have sex?
- Is your partner jealous of time you spend with your friends and family?
- Do you have to explain everything you do, every place you go and everyone you see or talk to?
- Does your partner constantly call to check up on you when you are at work or visiting with friends or family?
- Does your partner threaten to hurt you, your children, or other family members?
- Does your partner throw things, damage or destroy property and possessions, abuse or threaten to hurt pets?
What you can do to help yourself -
- Understand that you are in a very serious situation.
- Call Safe Place to speak with an advocate or a counselor.
- Tell your parents.
- Talk to your friends about it.
- If you are in immediate danger, call the police.
Click on image to view in a larger size.